Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Studio Calico Elementary papers + Stamps + Stickers
Hot Air Balloon rub-on
Bumpy Road Border Punch
Double Scallop Punch
well, it's kind of already begun.
new hair style.
soccer, 6 days a week...due to her wanting to try a new league, but unsure about giving up her old, comfortable one.
this last one has been consuming our world lately.
we all went to her mini camp for 6th grade orientation last Saturday at the middle school...and came away being so excited about all that lies ahead for her.
band first thing in the morning.
being a member of the Class of 2017.
(that one freaked me out when i saw it on the t-shirts that each student received)
buying her lunch with thumbprint I.D.
Language Arts class that is entirely taught on individual laptops for each student.
making her own choices.
deciding for herself what is right vs. wrong.
Power Point presentations.
jeggings (not a typo...leggings made of denim, thus jeans + leggings = jeggings).
learning the combo to her locker.
figuring out how to open said locker.
(she's been practicing with her lock every day, lol)
early starts to her day.
(school starts at 7:30am now...a big jump from 9:10am)
opportunities galore to try new things.
i loved watching her listen eagerly and hang on to every word that her new teachers spoke. seeing her get more and more amped up with each class we visited. a bit of apprehension maybe, at learning that her Science teacher played sports with her Dad, lol. (enter: 'tween nervousness that said teacher may bring up embarasisng stories from the past) her face beaming...and i mean beaming whenever she reached across a table to a new face and said, 'hey...my name is Allie. i'm happy to meet you!!'
this last part almost had me in tears.
she didn't really 'click' with too many girls at her elementary school...she told us that they were 'boy crazy, and not always nice to everyone else...and she didn't like to see other people's feelings hurt, because it has happened to her before'.
that's a zinger.
every now and again, a reminder that she hears us...even though she may not always seem to be listening.
we have told her 89679854 times that a true friend is worth keeping. holding onto forever. one who never, we mean never...causes you to feel bad about yourself. she may make you rethink something you've said or done...but if she truly loves you as a friend, she doesn't judge you or make you sad. i feel like i should have it tattoed across my forehead, just so i don't have to repeat it ad nauseum lol.
but clearly, it has sunk in.
i've seen that look in her face when she thinks she may have hurt someones feelings...it tortures her until she clears it up.
i know that look...i'm the exact same way.
so to see her reach out to new faces, potential new friends...that was the best reward of the entire day.
lots of changes coming at her.
faster than you can imagine.
count to ten.
off we go.
Friday, August 27, 2010
this one is about Allie's best buddy, Kirsten. she and A have played on the same soccer team since they were 5 years old...and because Mike could never remember if it was 'kIrsten' or 'kRisten', he just started calling her 'K' one day while coaching them. it stuck, lol. now everyone calls her that...and she loves it. our families went to Chicago together at the end of July, and it was a hoot to see Allie show her around town...as if she were a native. i guess what was really cool was seeing the excitement on her face to be sharing something that she thinks is so very cool...being in a big city like Chicago...with her best friend who was seeing it all for the very first time. i used bits from the Free Range add-on, and saved the edges from the Cosmo paper to separate my two photos...it just seemed to fit. :)
BG File Set (for the chip frame)
Crown Border Punch (50% OFF RIGHT NOW at 2PEAS!)
this next one here is a recent fave photo of my girl...while she still had her braids. Almost exclusively used items from the Main Kit, but added the alpha that was ORIGINALLY intended for the Open Pasture add-on...it was swapped out for the same alpha, but in a nice blue. i stamped the naked chipboard frames with the Harper's Rule stamp that comes in the Main Kit...how can you NOT want that stamp?! the journaling is just about some of the things that Allie 'still' is...a bit of a play on words. ;) also used a few butterflies to perk it up...the stamps from Fresh Cut with the matching Martha butterfly punches.
Crown Border Punch (50% OFF RIGHT NOW AT 2PEAS!)
Royal Butterfly Punch
Classic Butterfly Punch
this last one was kind of weird for me. i don't typically use huge pics...for whatever reason. but i loved this one and wanted to do a non-traditional soccer/sports layout about her dedication and what it has taught her about being part of something bigger than herself...her team. i highlighted the 7 with some brackets to show how many years she has been playing...and i am in LOVE with the blue/gray grid paper...surprise, lol.
Upper Crest Punch
Notebook Edge Punch or Binding Edge Punch
don't forget to check out the AMAZING paper deals going on right now...don't miss out on past faves!!
have a super weekend :)
Thursday, August 26, 2010
we hate to do it. we love them. but in order to make room for NEW stamps, we occasionally have to clear out some inventory, right? so here are the latest faves to bid farewell... of course...that doesn't mean you don't get one more chance!! you can buy these here:
- Journal Lines (use them a million times)
- Fence/Alpha Border (how does EVERYONE not own this?!)
- Doily Border (just plain pretty)
- Sentiments (these are the very same as the brand new ones coming out from CHA...in a different font. how fun would it be to mix them up!?)
- Ferris Wheel Bracket (2 awesome stamps for the price of one...and if you've EVER gone to a county fair, amusement park or Coney Island...you need these)
- Typeset (with all of the vintage typewriters being used now, this one is great!)
- Heart/Tag (Christmas is coming...MAKE YOUR OWN TAGS!)
of course these can be added to your shipment with your kit if you wait until the 27th to buy them...but they might be GONE by then!
and like i said, there will be more to come tomorrow...so make sure you check back!!
Thursday, August 19, 2010
just wanted to take a quick minute to thank everyone for their sweet emails and comments re: my last post...it's nice to hear from friends who have shared similar anxiety/panic/emotions about their children growing up. you guys all make me smile :)
now...onto sneaks of the September Studio Calico kit + add-ons, Back 40. hmmmm...please pardon the magenta Thickers seen in the above photo, lol. after we received our DT boxes, April learned that this specific color wouldn't arrive to the SC warehouse in time to be used in the Open Pasture add-on. so it will be replaced with the same exact font, just in a nice powder blue...either way, LOVE this font. and yes...those happy butterflies in the photo above are the stamps in the Fresh Cut add-on. and yes...they fit perfectly inside of the Martha Stewart Royal and Classic Butterfly punches...THEY ARE MUST HAVES!
and of course, my new fave border punch...the Martha Crown Edge.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
pardon me for getting mushy for a sec.
is it any easier if you aren't as sensitive as me? meaning: if you don't cry whenever someone with you is crying, because you hate to let anyone feel that awful by themselves...is it easier to accept the fact that she is growing up?
is it easier if you have more than one child? meaning: does the hurt in your heart ease a bit with each successive child, because they prepare you a bit more each time you go through it?
is it easier if you have a boy? meaning: when i look at her, i sometimes cringe at the thought of other girls potentially being mean to her...or a boy breaking her heart some day.
is it easier if you aren't as close? meaning: i love that she and i can finish each other's sentences...and we like so many of the same things. if we were total opposites, would it be as hard?
i suspect the answer to every single one of these is 'no, it isn't any easier'.
this growing up thing...adolescence...is hard, isn't it? it's hard on the child, it's hard on the parents. even though we know it is bound to happen...and we think we've prepared as much as possible, we still are shocked when those days roll around, aren't we?
when they switch gears and ask for a random 'alone' moment.
or a new haircut that is a 'style', because they want to seem mature.
and when you take them school shopping...and all she keeps mentioning is what she saw the girls wearing when she visited the middle school at the end of the last school year...and how she wants to be cool.
and think for herself.
and do her own hair.
and choose her own outfits.
it just overwhelmed me today.
it's as if she transformed right before my very eyes.
still my little girl.
yet now, a beautiful, smart young lady all at the same time.
and i tried my hardest not to cry...
right there in the middle of the mall.
walking along with her...she had a different bounce in her step.
it was so obvious to me.
it was confident.
putting one foot in front of the other...
yet holding back a half pace at the same time.
just look at her.
ready to take on the world at any given moment.
holding back a tear or two (hundred, lol).
but more proud of who she is than at any other time in her short life.
let's do this, kiddo.
middle school awaits.
and i will be here every single step.
just waiting...for it to get a bit easier.
Saturday, August 07, 2010
- crazy. hectic. stressful right now. a few things happening, everyone is fine, but my heart sometimes feels like it is ready to thump right out of my chest.
- summer. almost gone. we knew this was going to be a busy summer for us, but i can hardly believe that it's winding down. i'm ok with that...i have HAD IT with the 90+ temps for the last 6 weeks. this girl wants to turn off her air conditioning.
- school. other than several flash drives that she needs for different classes, school supplies are bought. for middle school. WHOA. on to tackling a back to school wardrobe...and loving that she has sent me emails with links to things she likes. 'no Allie, you can not wear low cut boots with HEELS to 6th grade...HEEEEEEEEEEE.
- her. i wanted to post this pic, because on Tuesday...those braids will be gone. quote: 'Mama, i need a REAL haircut for middle school...i need a STYLE'. 2 things: a.)she still calls me Mama (and i love that), b.)no, she will not be getting the Posh Spice 'do that she texted me while i was at work. nothing quite so drastic, we still need to be able to pull it back out of her face for soccer.
- speaking of which, soccer. will be crazy this season, playing on 2 leagues. trying a premier club, but also keeping the security of our familiar league as well...just in case. looking forward to Mike passing the torch onto a new president of the league at the end of the season though. he has worked HARD to build it up...time for another parent to hop on board, lol.
- work. has slowed a bit...not nearly as many elective surgeries, a direct reflection of the recession/etc. a few changes in the works there too, but it will all pan out.
- Mike. best guy EVER. words fail me here...i can't stress enough how lucky i am to have him. i keep typing and deleting, lol. lucky for me, i can just look at him, he grabs me in a hug, and whispers 'i know' in my ear.
- grandparents. working on a geriatric eval. for my Gramps...and it breaks my heart. they just aren't quite up to taking care of themselves and their big house anymore, but don't quite see it that way. having to approach your grandparents about assisted living/selling their house/proper nutrition/caring for their bodies etc. is NOT fun, i assure you.
- sweet. most of all, despite the pace...and the tears...and the stress, there is an inordinate amount of smiles and love in between to make it all worthwhile. to remind me that the good always outweighs the bad. and that i am one of the luckiest girls in the world.
Sunday, August 01, 2010
still catching up on sleep + resting my weary body...i am NOT as young as i used to be, that's for sure. add 2 days of sightseeing with the fam and friends BEFORE the show started, and i was one tired puppy. but i think i'm all caught up now...and wanted to share a few thoughts! this was my beautiful, crazy, nerdy, fun-loving, fly by the seat of her pants girl...playing around with some funny glasses she's had in her stash for ages. we were goofing around taking pics, and i thought this one would be fun to use for the school-ish 'Elementary' line. i paired it with my fave B side of 'Window Seat' from Documentary...and cut out a few windows to show off the 'Harper's Rule' paper. (ok, i'm a little biased...i can't help it! i was excited!)
- i didn't take one picture. not one! we were crazy busy at the booth (a good thing), and if i wasn't at the booth, i was running frantically with Lisa (aka Glue) to different booths checking pieces for upcoming kits. April had it planned out for us, but needed an extra pair of legs to run and check for color compatibility, fun stuff, etc...that's where we came in. Glue and i both have a COMPLETELY new appreciation for just how much effort goes into planning these things...holy guacamole!!
- i have to say, it was so cool to have store owners come into the booth and say, 'STUDIO CALICO! i was told i have to bring you into our store!!'...that means that the word is out about how fun/different the product is. we were told on many occasions, that Elementary was 'the best 'school-ish' line at the show', and 'very versatile, because while my traditional customers crave theme-ish product, the B sides are great for people who like to think outside the box!'...both huge compliments.
- i learned that there are a TON of scrapbook stores in Ohio! just none that aren't 1.5-2 hours away. :( so since i have to drive that far anyway, i will remain faithful to Scrappy Chic, in Livonia, Michigan...Chris and her team are wonderful. i always love seeing Chris at these shows, because she greets me like an old friend...even though i only make it to her store 2-3 times between shows. her customer service is UNPARALLELLED...and her stock at the store is out of this world. plenty of new + traditional + funky + you name it for everyone, AND she recently devoted part of her store to beading and jewelry...how fun is that?! (i may or may not have picked up a ton of the Making Memories Vintage Groove stuff there...) check her blog if you live in the area, because she is great about keeping it updated as new product comes in...i know that's why i check!
- lots of 'vintage' type product around...which suits me fine. some of it a bit much, but lots of it was just pure goodness!
- the show was smaller, both size-wise and attendance-wise. that being said, i think this was one of the best shows i've been to. i loved that we had time to chat with customers and hear about where they were from, what their stores are like etc...lord knows, i love to gab. so this atmosphere was awesome for that.
- i'd have to ask April for sure, but i know that the Mr. Huey mists were HUGE at this show. especially the Classic White. the only TRUE white mist on the market...as seen in the booth. lots of people ordered it for their stores in bulk...they have customers who ask for that kind of thing every year for Christmas/Winter Cards, and i never would have thought of that!
- the Veneer was a smash hit too...and the birdy rubs. and the stamp sets. oh who am i kidding...the whole dang booth was a wonderland of awesomeness!
so...as for faves of my own/things that caught my eye...
- Sassafras: Indie Girl just rocks. i think it's the first line by them where i loved every piece...including the B sides. and their overall abundance of flower embellies are of such variety, that even ME...the self-proclaimed 'Flower-Tard', is excited.
- Crate Paper: i'd be lying if i didn't say that i think just about everyone is stoked about Restoration. i think Glue claimed one of their papers as her fave of the ENTIRE SHOW. the textures/layering that Lisa (the owner) puts into her designs is very cool, and once she showed us all of the subtle detail...well, i appreciate it that much more.
- Making Memories: the Paper Reverie line has some fun things to mix in as basics...especially that Ledger Alphabet Sticker. lots of potential there for sure!
- KI Memories: surprise! they seem to be returning to their 'roots', and that is a good thing. KI was one of those companies that i used to hoard, even though i would buy every pieve of almost every line...uh, hello? Organized was my most fave EVER! they had really cool pocket envelopes that i am dying to make into a mini album...keeping my fingers crossed those show up in a kit!
- Basic Grey: ok. time for confessions. BG, i love you...i do. i look longingly at all of your cool embellishments, even buy a few papers here and there...setting them aside for future use. but then when we actually get together, we seem to fall apart, lol. we just can't quite mesh. NO MORE. i SO liked Wander + Pyrus. i expected to love Curio, but these two stole my heart. and as always, i am STOKED about the embellishments...partucularly the Small Details and the Epoxy Stickers.
- Jenni Bowlin: LOVE so much at her booth. always do. add to that the sweetest, most inviting people at the show working in her booth, and i'm sold. :) her new line is right up my alley, and i look forward to playing with it!
i'm sure i'm forgetting someone...ack!
i'm off to do some more laundry, since Allie will be home soon with hers. she has been camping since Friday evening with her girl scout troop, and let's just say...i don't know that she will try that again, lol. 2 frantic cry-your-face-off phone calls last night, which were TOTALLY unexpected. she just isn't an outdoor girl, it would seem.
kinda like her mama.